The little state of Massachusetts is well-known for its abundant bear and white-tailed deer hunting. If you decide that Massachusetts is the place for you to go hunting, be aware that both residents and visitors may now acquire hunting tags and permits online. This allows you to print permits before going into the woods from home.
There’s more to Massachusetts hunting than just the sport itself. Hunting in Massachusetts Hunting Season 2023-2024 has a significant added reward: it allows one to experience some historic locations from American history.
Massachusetts Hunting Season 2023-2024
|Season||Zones / Bag Limit||Start Date||End Date|
|Bear-1st||Zones 1- 14||Sep 5, 2023||Sep 23, 2023|
|Bear- 2nd||Zones 1-14||Nov 6, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Bear – 3rd||Zones 1-14||Nov 27, 2023||Dec 9, 2023|
|Bobcat||Zones 1-14||Dec 20, 2023||Mar 8, 2024|
|Coyote||No limit||Oct 14, 2023||Mar 8, 2024|
|Deer- Youth Hunt Day||—||Sep 30, 2023||Sep 30, 2023|
|Deer – Archery||Zone 10-14||Oct 2, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Deer – Archery||Zone 1-9||Oct 16, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Deer – Paraplegic||—||Nov 2, 2023||Nov 4, 2023|
|Deer – Shotgun||—||Nov 27, 2023||Dec 9, 2023|
|Deer – Primitive Firearms||—||Dec 11, 2023||Dec 30, 2023|
|Duck – Berkshire (Early)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate.||Oct 9, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Duck – Central (Early)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate.||Oct 14, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Duck – Coastal (Early)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate.||Oct 14, 2023||Oct 21, 2023|
|Duck – Coastal (Late)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate. (Check regulations for Scaup limit)||Nov 28, 2023||Jan 27, 2024|
|Duck – Berkshire (Late)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate.||Dec 11, 2023||Dec 30, 2023|
|Goose – Berkshire (Late)||Bag Limit: 3||Dec 11, 2023||Dec 14, 2023|
|Duck – Central (Late)||Daily bag limit of 6 in aggregate.||Dec 12, 2023||Jan 6, 2024|
|Duck – Coastal (Scaup)||Bag Limit: 2||Jan 9, 2024||Jan 27, 2024|
|Goose – Canada (Early)||Bag Limit: 15||Sep 1, 2023||Sep 22, 2023|
|Goose – Berkshire (Early)||—||Oct 10, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Goose – Central (Early)||Bag Limit: 2||Oct 14, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Goose – Coastal (Early)||Bag Limit: 2||Oct 14, 2023||Oct 21, 2023|
|Goose – Coastal (Late)||Bag Limit: 2||Nov 29, 2023||Jan 27, 2024|
|Goose – Central (Late)||Bag Limit: 2||Dec 12, 2023||Jan 6, 2024|
|Goose – Canada – Berkshire (Late)||Bag Limit: 5||Jan 1, 2024||Feb 15, 2024|
|Goose – Canada – Central (Late)||Bag Limit: 5||Jan 15, 2024||Feb 12, 2024|
|Goose – Canada – Coastal Zone* (Late)|
*North Portion of Coastal Zone
|Bag Limit: 5||Jan 29, 2024||Feb 15, 2024|
|Ruffed Grouse||Bag limit of 3 daily.||Oct 14, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Pheasant||Zones 1-14.||Oct 14, 2023||Dec 30, 2023|
|Quail||Zones 11-14. Daily bag limit of 4.||Oct 14, 2023||Dec 30, 2023|
|Rabbit – Cottontail||Zones 1-14. Daily bag limit of 5.||Oct 14, 2023||Feb 29, 2024|
|Rabbit – Snowshoe Hare||Zones 1-14. Daily bag limit of 2.||Oct 14, 2023||Feb 29, 2024|
|Turkey – Spring Youth||—||Apr 23, 2023||Apr 23, 2023|
|Turkey – Spring||Zones 1-13||Apr 24, 2023||May 20, 2023|
|Turkey – Fall||Zones 10-13||Oct 2, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
|Turkey – Fall||Zones 1–9||Oct 16, 2023||Nov 25, 2023|
In Massachusetts, Where to Hunt?
Explore your hunting choices in Massachusetts by clicking on the links below. Find more about the rules and resources for property locators. You may discover the ideal location with homework done at home and some time spent researching outside!
- Hunting on MassWildlife lands
- Hunting in state parks and forests
- Hunting on municipal lands
- Hunting on federal lands
- Hunting on private property
- Participate in a controlled public hunt
What Are The Restrictions For Hunting
Hunters are required to abide by all applicable hunting laws and rules. Other hunting restrictions that apply just on DCR properties include the following:
- Within 500 feet of the edge of any DCR-designated campground or camping structure, including those along the Appalachian Trail, you are not permitted to hunt, trap, or discharge a firearm.
- Any picnic spot, camping area, house, service facility, parking lot, camping structure, or designated swimming area established by the DCR is off-limits to hunting within 500 feet.
- On DCR land, a permanent tree stand installation is not permitted. A permanent tree stand is a hunting platform or structure fastened to a tree by fasteners that penetrate the bark and into the wood, such as bolts, wire, or nails. The tree stand could only be there for a maximum of 30 days.
Except in the cases listed below, hunting hours are generally from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
- Hunting hours for waterfowl expire after dusk.
- The hunting season runs from sunrise to sunset for lands that have been supplied with pheasants.
- The hours for fox and coyote hunting close at midnight.
- Waterfowl hunting is allowed on DCR land along the shore inside the “intertidal zone.” Between the high- and low-water marks lies this area of land.
A wide range of hunting options is available for sportspeople throughout the Massachusetts hunting season 2023–2024. Hunters may participate in various hunts and visit historic sites with licenses that can be obtained online. This all-inclusive Link Guide guarantees adherence to rules, facilitating a rich and satisfying hunting experience in Massachusetts.